Re: Dos & Linux

David Stein wrote:

> How can I download .tar and .gz compressed files on a Dos system copy them over
> to my linux system and uncompress them?  Is the uncompression built into unix?
> Also can I interlink my Linux and my Dos system? (my modem is on my Dos system).

tar (Tape ARchive) and gzip/gunzip(GNU) are included on the base Debian
installation.

For connecting two systems, you have several chioces.
1)SLIP(Serial Null-modem)  See HOWTO for SLIP/PPP.
2)PLIP(Parallel Null-modem-equivalent) Rumored to be quicker.  Less
support.  See HOWTO for PLIP.
3)Network (I've seen a two NE200 card/cable/terminator kit for $80 for
ISA $90 for PCI)  See Network Administrator's Guide(NAG).

Enjoy -- Greg.