Problem installing debian...

I have an Infomagic September 1996 installation disk, and it says that it
will install debian 1.1, linux kernel 2.0.0.  However, after making all
the disks, I put the 'installation boot' disk in, and hit enter at the
boot prompt.  It starts by saying 'Loading...', then it says
'Uncompressing Linux...', and then it scrolls up a few things and then
starts dumping hexidecimal numbers to the screen as a formated output.  I
left it running for a while, and it still didn't do anything.
The CD drive I am running it from is a NEC 4xi, running off of a QLogic
Fast chipset controller (though the controller is actually made by
Control Concepts).  If you have any information on how I could get it to
boot up, please contact me.
My email is alan@purdue.edu.

Oh, and by the way, for hard drives in the computer I am using two
Seagate SCSI-II drives.