Re: kernel header files

> I don't know why there is a libc5-dev.  If I install a new kernel,
> it comes with its only kernel headers.  Is it necessary to install
> lib5-dev in order to compile programs.

Yes. The kernel headers are not enough to compile even a normal "Hello, world!"
program. <stdio.h> etc are libc headers, and are in the libc5-dev package.

> Also, if I install libc5-dev,
> can I still install a newer version of linux kernel whenever it is
> available.

Yes. As I understand it, the kernel source does not use the /usr/include/asm
etc; it uses its own linux/include/asm.

The only reason that libc5-dev contains kernel headers is that the kernel
headers change quite often, and have broken normal compilation a couple
of patchlevels back.

Hope this helps,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.