Re: Strange ppp problem.

> I was experimenting
> with setting up ppp over a nul modem cable (with little luck, I might
> add).

To get mine working, I had to instruct getty not to die if it didn't see
the Carrier-Detect/DSR/CTS set. Otherwise, it wigged if the cable wasn't
hooked up. Getty would respawn faster than a rabbit on hormones and init
would have to chill it out for 5 minutes.

The inittab line that worked was:
S1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L -h 38400,19200,9600 ttyS1

> The question is: Why does the cable interfere in the first place? Is this
> a cua vs tty issue?

>From what little experience I've had with serial ports in Unix, it's kind
of a Murphy's Law deal: if it *can* be a cua vs. tty issue, it WILL be one.
Every document I've read recently that seems to know what it's talking
about says to use tty exclusively.

- Joe