Simple way to convert text to g3 files wanted.

I wanted to start employing mgetty's fax spooling features. Unfortunately,
it want to convert my text files to g3 files via ghostscript. This wouldn't
bother me if it werent for the fact that gs seems to want to bring just
about *every* library in the debian catalog along with it. Seems pretty
wastefull when all I want to do is convert from text to g3.

I figure I can use efax's "efix" program to do it by modifying some file
in /etc/mgetty. Anybody know of any other quick+dirty programs to
do the conversion?

- Joe