socket permission problems

G'day. I'm a bit behind, but since I just got Debian 1.1.11
on November's Linux Monthly, I did a bit of an upgrade from it.
I've been running some bits of rex as well, but hadn't upgraded
everything, so quite a few things got updated from 1.1.11,
such as netstd, base etc. Anyway a couple of problems have
been observed;

rlogin to another host gives "rmcd: socket: permission denied"
Works fine for root.

On starting X, I get the grey background, but no windows;
I kill it, and it's been trying to connect to a socket
and getting connection refused, errno = 13.
Again, works fine for root.

I'll look though rex now for important stuff which needs
upgrading again and see how I go. Anything in particular
to get which might cause this?

gpm also seems to be broken; it's doing really erratic
things when I try to mark stuff. Running kernel 2.1.7,
but I was before this upgrade too and I haven't noticed
any problems due to it.

thanks,
hamish