Re: LaTeX cannot find Greek characters

Z.W.T.Mason@sussex.ac.uk (Zebedee Mason) writes:

> LaTeX runs fine on all my documents apart from the fact that it cannot
> find the Greek alphabet resulting in some strange looking equations, I
> have included part of the log file and several days back tried the TeX
> newsgroup:

>  (nomenclature.tex
> Missing character: There is no ^^O in font cmmi12!
> Missing character: There is no u in font cmmi12!
> Missing character: There is no u in font cmmi12!
> Missing character: There is no = in font cmmi12!
> Missing character: There is no ^^W in font cmmi12!
> Missing character: There is no ^^O in font cmmi12!

I'm not a LaTeX user, but I see two possibilities here:
 1. Some font configuration file for LaTeX is corrupted. (.fd files)
 2. cmmi12.tfm is corrupted.

#2 is easy to check, run the following through plain TeX and see if it
works:

% start of file
This is a test: $\alpha\beta\gamma\epsilon$

\end
% end of file

If this doesn't work, replace cmmi12.tfm (either reinstall the Debian
package or delete the file and make a new one with metafont.)  If does
work replace LaTeX (whatever package the latex files come in).

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu