LaTeX cannot find Greek characters

Dear all

LaTeX runs fine on all my documents apart from the fact that it cannot
find the Greek alphabet resulting in some strange looking equations, I
have included part of the log file and several days back tried the TeX
newsgroup:

LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OML/cmm/m/it on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for T1/cmr/m/n on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OT1/cmr/m/n on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMS/cmsy/m/n on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMX/cmex/m/n on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for U/cmr/m/n on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 12.
LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
(Font)              <12> on input line 31.
LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
(Font)              <8> on input line 31.
LaTeX Font Info:    External font `cmex10' loaded for size
(Font)              <6> on input line 31.
 (nomenclature.tex
Missing character: There is no ^^O in font cmmi12!
Missing character: There is no u in font cmmi12!
Missing character: There is no u in font cmmi12!
Missing character: There is no = in font cmmi12!
Missing character: There is no ^^W in font cmmi12!
Missing character: There is no ^^O in font cmmi12!
.
.
.
.
etc.

Am pulling my hair out over this as I cannot make any sense of it.  BTW
this is Debian 1.1 from Infomagics September Linux Developers Resource.

Cheers

Zeb.