Re: Running Debian

jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler) writes:
> George Bonser writes:
> > One of these days I will write a version of dselect in tcl/tk that will
> > use colors to denote the state of different packages and be just plain
> > nicer.
>
> I agree that dselect needs work, bu please don't make it into a huge
> graphical thing that won't run on a terminal and depends on a lot of
> other stuff.  Keep it simple.

As someone who has thought about rewriting dselect into a huge graphical
thing that won't run on a terminal -- why?

Package management is a hairy task involving a lot of information, and
doing it on a 24x80 screen is almost painful.  I appreciate the need to
have a bare-bones package selection program that is small enough to cram
onto a bootdisk and runs on a console.  It would be a shame if that need
restrained any development of a better package manager.

So maybe it's time to have two -- dselect and xselect.

-Tom