How unstable is "unstable"

I've noticed that all of the upgrades to packages usually go into
"unstable".

What, exactly, does "unstable" mean? Does it mean that the packages haven't
been 'frozen' into a new release of Debian? Does it mean that the package
itself is flaky? or does it mean that the version number of the packages
that show up there are likely to change often?

In short, how wary should I be about using things in "unstable"?

- Joe