System Speed vs. Stability

First, thanks to everyone for their recent help in getting my system up and
running. It's been great having a little help.

I've been having some serious intermittent lockups and freezes, generally
during bootup and when trying to replace/configure packages. It's been very
annoying, but since sometimes it will boot fine, sometimes not, I started
suspecting hardware...

Well, the machine, which is a 486DX2 66, has lockup problems when set at
66, but seems to work fine, stable (yet slower!) at 33.

Anyone else experience anything like this, or maybe have some suggestions
for me?

Thanks!

jason gerry