Re: [Question] Debian 1.1 Installation

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Vaibhav Goel wrote:

> Hello;
>
> I am interested in installing Debian on a 486 machine.  This machine does
> not have a CDROM drive so I will have to download the whole package and
> install it from floppies/ftp.  Here is my situation;  I will be connecting
> the 486 on Ethernet to an NT box.  I would like download all the packages
> that I need on to that NT box and ftp those packages to the Linux Debian
> machine.  Basically, I would like to install the Debian base installation
> using a minimum floppies.  So my question is;  What exactly do I need
> besdies the 3 base disks, 1 boot disk and 1 root disk to get the Debian
> machine talking to the NT machine using FTP.

If you wish to use ftp, you will need one more diskette. This diskette
should include the following three packages: netbase-2.04-1.deb,
netstd_2.07-1.deb, and ppp-2.2.0f-2.deb. You will not really need ppp if
you are ethernet connected, but it couldn't hurt ;-). Install these three
packages with 'dpkg -i package.deb' and you should be ready to ftp the
rest of the packages into your machine.

> My 2nd question/problem is that yesterday I was on the ftp.debian.org site
> to download the latest disks.  I went in the
> /debian/debian-1.1.11/disks-i386 directory but I couldn't find the floppy
> images under make-floppies (which seems to be a script).  I would like to
> get the latest _stable_ Debian package.  I was wondering if someone could
> point me to the correct directory on ftp.debian.org to grab this from.  If
> this is a stupid question which is in a fAQ somewhere, please point me to
> that.  I have been on www.debian.org and their instructions seem to be for
> version 1.1.  I would like version 1.1 with the latest fixes/upgrades.

There should be two directories in the disks-i386 tree. 1996_7_14 (or
similar) and special-kernels. The base disks are base14-1/2/3.bin and the
boot/root pair are boot1440.bin and root.bin.

Luck,

Dwarf