Installation blues...

Greetings Debian People!

I put in the boot disk and get:

Boots the kernel .... [other stuff blows along the screen]

then I get:

VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into ramdisk and press enter

In goes the root disk and I get:

RAM DISK: compressed image found at block 0 invalid compressed format
(err=2)<5> VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter

If I hit enter again I get a bunch of stuff (MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,...) and finally:

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

Then it is time to reboot.

Anyone have some advice for me on how to get by the root disk stage of the
installation?  TIA!

Dennis

"We've had enough of this, you know, buy now, pay later. I was happy that
President Bush didn't buy the Jack Kemp philosophy that cuts taxes and
doesn't do anything about the deficit. We've done that enough in the last
ten years."

- Bob Dole, The Wichita Eagle, August 22, 1992.