Installation; configuring the network

At one point in the Debian installation, you are asked to type in
the IP addresses of up to five DNS servers. However, you are not
told with what punctuation to separate the IP addresses.

The first time, I used commas, but FTP failed with, I think,
Hostname lookup failure. I found /etc/resolv.conf and removed
all but one of the addresses from the nameserver line.

This time, I've just typed in one DNS servername. I can add the
others to resolv.conf myself.

However, what's the correct action in the first place, and might
the dialog box tell one more explicitly?

David Wright.