Re: tcpip communications not available

In your email to me, David_Oswald@prenhall.com, you wrote:

>      Hello all ...
>
>      I have a strange problem that consistently comes up upon a reboot of
>      two Debian nodes of mine.
>
>         After these nodes reboot (cold or warm) no one can telnet to, or
>      ping ... to them.
>
>      HOWEVER - if I login as any user including root (onto the problematic
>      machines consoles) and ping out to any functional node on my net. The
>      ping session will pause for about 10-15 seconds and then start to
>      communicate with that node getting very reliable timing of 1ms, AND
>      NEVER one problem for the rest of the uptime of that machine.
>

>      At this point any user from any other node will be able to telnet to,
>      ping ... these machine with 0 problems, UNTIL that machine is rebooted
>      (warm or cold) again. The cycle repeats itself...
>

>      I am using a 3com 3c503 card, 486-100mhz, 16mb ram, aha1542c.
>      ( a very simplistic setup )

Welcome to flaky 503 cards. Almost every machine I have set up with
Linux and a 503 has this problem. I solve this by setting up
rc.boot to execute a script that does ping -c1 out to a machine.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
   "It's almost impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things."