Re: rescue disk set

I was looking for a rescue disk, too. I posted to debian-devel list a few
weeks ago. The answers were that none exists, so far.

My problems was that I need a tar (gnu tar would be good) to be able to
restore my backups (if I should need that some time). I got the answer
that the root disk contains a "star" program that extracts tar archives it
gets via stdin.

But I also think that a _real_ rescue disk would be fine. I had one some
time ago for Slackware. Nice was that it also contained the manual pages
for important programs as mke2fs, tar, etc.

And some version of vi would be fine to have on the disk, too, since I
don't like ae very much.

I would like to have it work with the standard Debian boot disks. I don't
think this is a problem. If space is enough we could use this as the
"only" ramdrive that is loaded after the boot disk. If that's too much for
a single disk we could build something that is mountet on the standard
root disk tree. The old Slackware rescue disk used a gzipped filesystem (I
think via zfs but this should be obsolete now) and had the kernel on the
disk too. This was nice since one needed only one disk. Perhaps we could
create a fs that's 2880k (those who have only 4mb ram would need two
disks, propably).

As Brian suggested, it would be nice if this would be done by the
root/boot disk maintainer. AFAIK this is Bruce Perens but he wants
to pass maintaince to someone else.

Cheers,

Chris
--          _,,     Christian Schwarz