Special kernals (again)

I'm trying to install Debian on a machine with an Intel Rhinestone MB,
and hence the NCR 810/5 SCSI.

Happily I saw that boot1440 2.0.5-5.bin was dated 19Sep96 13:47
but unfortunately the files on it are 12Jul96 18:17.

So, of course, I got to installing the kernal and got the
Error in archive format.

Having been following this list for a while, I saw that the workaround is
to recreate the MODULES.TGZ file. So I went over to a DOS machine, copied
the file, ungzipped it, untarred it with -xvf, than tarred a new file with
-cvf, gzipped that, renamed a:\modules.tgz to a:\omodules.tgz and copied
on a new a:\modules.tgz.

When I reselected Install the kernal, I got

lib/modules/2-0.5/cdrom/cdrom.o no such file or directory
star: no such file or directory

So I created yet another DOS directory and ungzipped and untarred my new file.
Apart from the date stamps being changed because I'm in the UK, the files are
the same. The tar file listing differs in that the subdirectories themselves
haven't been stored in the tar file (the files have the correct paths, though).

What's going on, and are the corrupt files in the special kernals EVER going
to be fixed? It's not a very good PR exercise for Debian. This IS the first
thing in the distribution that you meet!

David Wright.