Subject: Re: shutdown: non-existing PID
Author:  debian-user@lists.debian.org at cclink
Date:    07.08.96 02:39

On Tue, 06 Aug 1996 15:42:37 +0200 Michael Gaertner
(gaertnem@ruf.uni-freiburg.de) wrote:
> shutdown -h now
>
> console-message:
> "start-stop-daemon:warning: failed to kill 218: No such process"
>
> Indeed there is no PID 218. BTW the pid-number changes with every
> shutdown.
> I think it has something to do with X Windows because I have another
> debian-system without X Windows installed - and I don't get this message.

I have the same minor problem, and it's '/etc/init.d/xdm stop' which causes the
rouble. From what I've found, start-stop-daemon will kill the process tree of
the
 daemon to stop. In case of xdm, it will try to kill xdm first, then X.
But, xdm kills X too when it's about to shutdown. The message appears when xdm
ki
lls X before start-stop-daemon. Sometimes, no message appears, and I assume that
happens when start-stop-daemon kills X before xdm.

I have no fix yet. (It's only a minor annoyance)

Phil.