Re: Don't use Matrox cards (Was re:dosemu)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Barry Hughes wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> >> Well, I'm currently using a Cirrus Logic GD5434, which works fine
> >> with XFree in 8 bit mode, but produces streaks at higher bpp's. Anyway,
> >> I'm getting a Matrox soon, a real speedster. Thanx for your time...
>
> >From experience Cirrus cards and chipsets work very well with XFree86, and
> I would tend to recommend them.
>
> >If you plan to continue to use XFree, then I hope you don't buy a matrox
> >video card.  They do not work with XFree and probably never will.
> >They don't give away the information on how to use their cards, so the
> >only way XFree could use their cards would be if XFree signed a
> >non-disclosure agreement with them, which is kind of hard when you give
> >away the source code to your product.
> >If you are willing to buy a commercail X server from X inside or Metro X then
> >it shouldn't be a problem.  But then again you will have to install it by
> >hand, because their is no debian package for it, and dpkg won't know
> >about it.
> >What might be good for you, is that if someone ever comes up with a
> >rpm --> deb utility, you can buy a redhat cd, from cheapbuytes for around
> >$30-40 and it comes with Metro X.  But if you wan't to be able to get all
> >the source code for your programs you are still stuck.
>

> Um, FYI Matroax *HAVE* now allowed the source code to be released, and the
> drivers for their cards are being worked on, (at last) so, you can use
> this to tell what card to get ;)
>

> -Barry Hughes

When did this happen?  I talked to a friend, just a couple of weeks ago,
and he said he just talked to Matrox and they were pretty dead set
against giving their support away like that.  However, if I am wrong I
admit it, and apologize for the wrong advice I gave.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil