module which works with the 2.0.6 kernel. I have therefore uploaded a
custom kernel deb package for those people who are still having
problems with nfs. The bug has been reported to the maintainers (bug
#3999 of Aug 1st -- Thanks Lazaro.Salem@rf.no for this info) and one
hopes that a fixed kernel package will be available soon. In the
meantime, feel free to use the custom kernel.

For want of a better name it is called:

  kernel-image-2.0.6-custom-1.0.i386.deb

and is in ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions (not in the Debian
tree since it is not official). This package works fine for me, and I
have used it to install the rest of Debian using nfs. However, I do
get intermittent error messages of the form,

  nfs_stat_to_errno: bad nfs status return value: 238

However, these do not appear to cause any harm. Any pointers to what
this error means will nevertheless be much appreciated!

Alvin

   | Alvin Birdi                    Email: alvin.birdi@man.ac.uk |
   | School of Economic Studies     Tel: 0161 275-4791           |
   | University of Manchester       Fax: 0161 275-4812           |
   | Manchester M13 9PL  UK                                      |