latex

Dear list,

I have been trying to get latex work on my Debian-1.1 with
2.0.0 kernel on and off for the last couple of weeks.
First, following your advice, I replaced the latex-2e-4.deb
with latex-2e-7.deb and also installed mflib-1.0-8.deb.
I thought that everything was sorted. At last I could
compile simple documents without getting error message:
	' can not find default files '
However, with longer documents which I used to be able
to compile cleanly under Slackware things are not that
rosy. Previewing dvi files, I get misaligned page numbers
in table of contents, screwed up tables and documents
look a mess.
I thought I should reinstall all latex packages and so
I did. I downloaded and installed:
	babel_3.6-3.deb
	hyperlatex_1.4pl2-1.deb
	latex2e-doc_1.6-1.deb
	latex_2e-7.deb
	ltxtool_1.0-4.deb
	mflib_1.0-8.deb
	mfnfss_2.1g-2.deb
	xypic_3.2-4.deb
Nothing's changed. I'll appreciate any suggestions?

--
Marek

Marek Duszynski                                    m.duszynski@ic.ac.uk