Re: Sound card IRQ

Hi Eric --

You said:
> Problem: sound module insists on looking at IRQ 7 ("sb: Interrupt test
> on IRQ 7 failed - device disabled" or something like that).  Need it to
> look at IRQ 5.
>
> Hardware: unknown brand 8-bit Soundblaster-compatible mono... jumper-set
> to IRQ 5 by choice.  Port 220, DMA 1.
>
> Tried: adding arguments to module (eg. insmod sound irq=5), searching on
> web, reading old debian-user list archives, reading Linux HOWTO on
> soundcards (they say recompile kernel... but this is such an easy thing
> there's got to be something I missed, right?).

No, you didn't miss anything.  I, too, wonder why the default IRQ for
sound cards seems to be 7, especially since that's the defualt IRQ for
the parallel port on PC clones.  I believe this ought to be fixed in
the versions of the kernel-* packages that are distributed by the
Debian project.

Regards,
Susan Kleinmann