Re: Real Audio

>>>>> "Richard" == "Richard G Roberto" <richr@bear.com> writes:

Richard> On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Derek Lee wrote:
>> I have Real Audio working on my debian box. I am running 2.0.0 kernel
>> which contains the appropriate Voxware sound driver. There was no need
>> to install USSLite.
>>
>> Are your other sound utilities working?
>>
>> --Derek Lee

Richard> I'm having a problem getting anything to do with sound to
Richard> work.  I get this at boot time:

Richard> Starting the Network Audio System
Richard> Checking quotas: Done
Richard> Making quota files sparse: Done
Richard> Turning on quotas
Richard> starting /usr/sbin/snmpd ...
Richard> starting /usr/sbin/watchdog ...

Richard> Fatal server error:
Richard> could not create audio connection block info

Hmm, which kernel version are you running?

I upgraded to 2.0.0 and found much to my pleasant surprise that my
soundblaster card had started to work. Then I upgraded to 2.0.6 and it
stopped working again (I haven't had time to properly report it yet,
so I haven't the error message at hand but it was something about
allocating an IRQ). Downgrading back to 2.0.0 fixed things.

The "Fatal server error" you get is just the Network Audio System
(NAS) telling you that it can't connect to the sound device.

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)