Re: Installing Linux over a LAN

From: Joey Hess <joey@kite.preferred.com>
> When I installed Debian 2 days ago, I was wishing that instead of the 3
> "base" floppies, it could at least use a .tar.gz file containing
> the same stuff somewhere on an existing ext2 partition. A small change (?)
> like that would make the install a lot easier.

It will look for /*/base1_1.tgz and /*/*/base1_1.tgz when it goes to
install the base archive. base1_1.tgz is in the same directory as the
boot floppy images on the FTP server, and is a gzip-compressed tar
archive. You can mount a disk containing it before selecting "install
the base system", or you can boot with a CD or disk cartrige root
containing it. If it finds base1_1.tgz, it will not ask for the 3 base
floppies.

	Thanks

	Bruce