How to make dselect shut up?

I've installed xpaint on my system, and every time I run dselect it complains
about pbmplus being unavailable--even though pbmplus has been superseded by
netpbm, and I have netpbm installed.  Is there some way to get deselect to
stop complaining about this non-problem?  I could go and hack on some files in
/var/lib/dpkg, but that would only work until the next time I do an upgrade
via ftp.  It would be nice to have an option in dselect/dpkg to mark something
as "yeah, I know, enough already" or something like that.

Also: there doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to downgrade a package
using dselect.  There are times when this could be important, like when you
upgrade and it unexpectedly breaks something vital.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/