Re: Consensus about /bin/perl.

Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> So what was the decision about /bin/perl, and the packages that depend
> on it right now (kernel-*, etc).  Should it be a symlink, or should
> these packages just be fixed?
>
> Just wanted to know so know whether or not I should create the link or
> patch the scripts on my systems.

The Linux FSSTND 1.2 clearly says:

    /usr/bin/perl, /usr/bin/python, and /usr/bin/tcl should reference
    the perl, python, and tcl shell interpreters, respectively.  They
    may be symlinks to the physical location of the shell interpreters.

It would make sense to have scripts access it where you can expect it.
FSSTND compliant Perl scripts would definitely use /usr/bin/perl.

Dan
--
Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@bucknell.edu> / Member of the LPF
http://www.bucknell.edu/~quinlan      / http://www.lpf.org