Re: Anyone want xanim as a deb package

On 8 Aug 1996, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>
> > I just got xanim compiled on my system with full for cinepack and indeo
> > enconding, I also compiled in sound, but I have no idea if it works since
> > I don't have a sound card on my linux box.  If anyone want it, I will try
> > to put it together as a package.  It should be pretty easy just one file
> > is neccesary to run it.
>
> Please be sure to check on the redistributability of the cinepak and
> indeo code---I'm not sure it can be redistributed _at all_, and I'm
> fairly certain that it would have to go in non-free.
>
> Which isn't to say I wouldn't like to see the package---just that this
> is one that probably needs all its proverbial ts crossed and is dotted.
>
> Mike.

I talked to Mark Podlipec, the author, and he said that there should be
no problem of just giving the binary away, the only problem is if you
give away the .o files that you download form Mark's ftp site and compile
in.  If I were to give those away I would have to distribute the copyright
notices also.

However, it still has to be in the non-free section because Mark's copyright
says that only non-commercial use is permitted.

I will include the copyright notices for all the included software
though, to be on the safe side, even though Mark said it isn't neccessary.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil