Re: dselect/dpkg problem: install/remove

In article "John Houwen" <slyder@voicenet.com> writes:

>I have tried to remove these packages, but upon running either
>dselect or dpkg I get something along the lines of "Package is in an
>unstable/condititon please re-install before attempting to remove"

The kernel-image, kernel-source and kernel-package packages have a
bug in the installation scripts.  The prerm and preinst scripts
refer to #! /bin/perl .  Unfortunately, on a virgin Debian 1.1
system, there is no /bin/perl.  The solution is to create a symlink
from /usr/bin/perl to /bin/perl.  Then you should be able to
de-install and re-install the kernel packages no problem.

- Jim