Floppy won't boot with internal cache enabled

I am installing Debian 1.1.1 on a generic clone with an AMD 486 on an
Opti-based motherboard.  If I have the internal cache enabled in setup,
I get the error "invalid compressed format" after the "uncompressing
Linux" message.  If I disable the cache, it boots fine.  It boots ok
from the hard drive either way.  Anyone know what is going on?

thanks,

Steven Gaarder                              Network and Systems Administrator
gaarder@actech.com                          A C Technology, Ithaca, N.Y., USA