Re: gpm and X mouse conflicts

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> > But my mouse is a normal, MouseSystems compatible, serial mouse.
> > Surely I shouldn't have to use the -R option?  I didn't have to under
> > slackware.
> >
> I suspect that slackware runs the daemon with the -R option and sets up X
> to use /dev/gpmdata. Try it ;-)
>
> Dwarf

No, Slackware doesn't either.  In fact the "-R" option is NOT needed for
most systems to get gpm and X to happily share the mouse.  My system at
home, several friends' systems and many systems at work all work fine
without the "-R" option.  However, "-R" does seem to be needed for bus
mice and in some cases it seems to be needed even for serial mice.  I
don't know what the common denominator is for these cases but since I've
seen a couple, I'd sure like to know.

David M. Cooke                                   d.m.cooke@larc.nasa.gov