Re: Ftp method in dselect

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Rich Deighton wrote:

> The other day I removed the package dpkg-ftpd (the perl script) as
> dselect reported it as an 'Obselete/Local package'; this seemed sensible
> at the time, however I now can't utilise ftp as an install method. As I
> understand it there is an alternative way of doing this... but I
> couldn't find any packages on a debian mirror, and I'm not sure how to
> integrate the dftp-1.5 script I found in the tools directory.

'Obsolete/Local' is just dselect's way of saying it found the package
installed on your system but not in the Debian distribution. You certainly
don't need to uninstall packages in there... unless you want to, that is.

Just reinstall dpkg-ftp and the 'ftp' method of dselect will work again.

  Christian