Re: LILO and W95

>"More sense on a PC" ? Duh ! Maybe for a "Win95" user.
>Anyhow, the problems with "I've installed Micro$oft Windoze 95 on my
>computer and can't boot Linux anymore" is just due to the fact that
>M$ just assumes that anyone use their piece of crap and just baldly
>recreates the MBR.

I know all about the MBR thing.  Don;t try to give me that dumb-*^&%
stuff.  Been there, done that...

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say.  Get off your
high horse just a minute and think about what you are saying.

I maintain 4 debian machines at present.  2 out of 4 are single-OS
machines and  boot up using lilo just as I have for several duel-boot
setups prior.  However, recently I have come to appreciate the loadlin
option with multi-boot machine because of the ease of configuration on
W95 machines and the [Menu] options under config.sys.

As far as the previous comment on taking longer under loadlin.  I
don't think that is true.  Once loadlin starts, it almost instantly
boots linux.  I can't really tell the difference.

I guess my point is, if you have to use W95 (which I do on two
machines for various reasons), and since W95 is going to write over
your MBR every time you install it, then loadlin makes more sense.

>And LILO is not less safe than LOADLIN. It can causes problem if you
>configure it badly. And LOADLIN can have problem if the DOS/WIN
>drives are defragmented.

This is true.  But, lilo is more difficult to set up.  Especially for
first-time users migrating from dos/w95 or just experimenting, loadlin
is definitely the way to go.

>(Not starting a col.advocacy thread)
>
>Phil.

P.S.  BTW, M$ Windoze-95 is not a piece of crap.  I think we all agree
in this group that it is wowfully behind the capabilities of Linux.
But, one cannot deny the numbers.  If it were that bad, why are there
so many people using it?  We can't isolate ourselves.  The thing to do
is figure out how to work with it.

| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |