Re: dpkg-ftp or installing via FTP

  Ricardo>  Hi guys, I grabbed and installed dpkg-ftp. But I see no mention
  Ricardo> of any ftp usage when I run dpkg --help.  Is there supposed to be
  Ricardo> a separate binary called dpkg-ftp? Because I can't find any...

It is meant to be used from within _dselect_. It gives you a new line in the
	* 0. [A]ccess      Choose the access method to use.
menu.

  Ricardo> I'm trying to download the latest Debian distribution via FTP, but
  Ricardo> I've had problems both with ncftp and with dftp. I was hoping
  Ricardo> dpkg-ftp would be a better solution...

What's wrong with ncftp? Maybe your networking is not setup correctly.

  Ricardo> Another suggestion was to mirror debian. How much space is
  Ricardo> required to mirror?

Depends on how many files and directories you select in the mirror parameter
file /etc/mirror/packages/<site>

  Ricardo> Can a mirror be partial?

Sure, see the example /etc/mirror/packages/ftp.debian.org, but please not
that it was written with the old directory structure in mind.

  Ricardo> Lastly, once I've gotten all that's required from FTP, is dselect
  Ricardo> a good method to use for performing the install?

Yes.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd