Re: XFree86 3.1.2[DE]

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> 2. Install the XFree86 3.1.2E Mach64 Server Binary (this is only the
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 file!) over the old server.
>
> Using the new server with the old libs/binaries works fine. I think it is
> the best way to first install the old server and then overwrite it, so
> debian thinks that the depencies are correct. Otherwise it will complain
> about not having a X server installed.

A better way would be to install the new server somewhere in
/usr/local.  Then edit the file /etc/X11/Xserver so it refers to the
new server.  It's best to install local software in /usr/local and not
in /usr.

I'm not sure, but you may need to install the package termcap-compat
for the XFree beta servers to work.

Guy