More info on PPP problem

When I boot I get the following on my screen:

PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc
PPP line discipline registered
Starting base network deamons: rpc.portmap  inetd

When I start 'ppp-on', it starts pppd, but pppd doesn't do anything.
The lights on my modem flashes, but it doesn't dial.

It seems as if the ppp is loaded, and I have set up the files
/etc/ppp/options
/etc/ppp/chatscript
It's just that it doesn't dial.
What's wrong?