Re: LILO and W95

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, nathan work wrote:

> ok, i just loaded linux after w95 for the first time.  i know very
> little about linux or unix for that matter and i'm having a real problem
> - 95 will not 'recognize' LILO, and boots right into 95.  i didn't have
> this problem with 3.1.  what i need is for someone to be gracious enough
> to take me by the hand and show me how to overcome this (to keep w95
> from controling what's booted). please email me if you'd like:

What I have done is similar to what Susan suggest in using LOADLIN, but I
have setup a menuitem in config.sys to handle it.  The line I use in the
config.sys file is:

shell=c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro

This assumes my root file system is on hda6.  This way when I boot I have
the option presented to me.  It is very much like LILO, but is all done
through DOS/WIN95 utilities (when I started using linux, I was more
comfortable doing it this way).

Kenny Wickstrom           | gnu - a new generation in s/w devel/support
kenny@kennet.com          | Linux - a much improved Un*x clone
(847)740-4008             | Debian - a Linux distribution setting the
#include <std-disclaimer> |    standard for future distributions