XFree86 3.1.2[DE]

I am using a Mach 64 card (ATI Winboost, as far as I can tell) that
seems to hang when I run the XF86_Mach64 server.  From various
postings to this list I gather that there is hope I will be able to
run it successfully with the XFree86 3.1.2E Mach64 server.

My understanding is that the currently available Debian X11R6 packages
are from XFree86 3.1.2 and to upgrade I will need first to install the
3.1.2D distribution from ftp.xfree86.org then to install the upgrade
files for 3.1.2E.  Can anyone confirm this?  I would prefer an
unnecessary upgrade.

--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598