Reflection on which which

Which was included in a package, debian-utils, which only included two
binaries, I think.

The fact that so many various responses were received reinforces my
conviction that there are too many fragmented packages.  One who has,
like me, use FTP to install a system still has to rely on
available information, and there is precious little of that.

So just a suggestion---a lot of little utilities, now under a lot
of different packages, that are standard on a Debian system, would be
better integrated.  I know this isn't easy or perhaps even possible,
at this point, but maybe something to shoot for; maybe it's not even
desireable, I don't know.

And another off-hand suggestion: the Packages file is a major
resource: why is there neither an ELF/A.OUT field (for which it's
almost too late), or a date field.  In almost all endeavors I find the
latter to be a valuable landmark; I can't understand why it isn't
included here---does it violate some unmentionable law of software?

Alan Davis

"Look after truth and goodness.  Beauty looks after herself."
                    ---Eric Gill