Re: Daylight Savings Time problem

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Buddha Buck:
> > So what you are saying is that for once, the US gets shortchanged?
>
> Not so bad. Most of us know what timezone we are in because the network
> TV programs start at "7 P.M. Mountain, 8 P.M Pacific" and so on. It was
> easy enough to select US/Pacific. I don't see an Arizona file there,
> however, and I don't know the difference between Pacific and Pacific-new.
>
> > Could the /usr/lib/zoneinfo hierarchy be cleaned up some?
>
> Yes, but someone has to become an expert on it first. Please volunteer.
>
> > what/where is Kwajalein?
>
> Ever see that picture of an atomic bomb test, taken from an airplane,
> where there is a circle of old battleships a few miles from where the
> bomb goes off, and they get thrown around like toys? I think that's
> Kwajalein atoll. I think people can live there again now.

Actually, I believe that was Eniwetok Atoll, or else Bikini---those
are the two atolls on which the testing was done.  Kwajalein is the
current target of missile test shots from Vandenburg Air Force Base on
the West Coast, and was never the site of any of the nuclear tests.
As to whether you would care to live on either Bikini or Eniwetok, you
are on your own, though I don't know that much...  Some local natives
were moved back home, then off again.  They are really hard up.  There
was a US (Dept of Energy?) Marine Laboratory for many years at
Eniwetok, the Mid Pacific Marine Laboratory, and researchers did live
there.

Alan Davis