Re: More questions on smail configuration for SMTP/PPP

  Carl>	append_header="From: J. Random User <user@hostname.com>"

  Carl> But since I can't log in to the machine running that configuration, I
  Carl> can't check right now ;(

Looks good to me (apart from missing quotes around J. Random User), I had
just checked the smail(5) manpage after your first message.

If you use the OneAndOnlyEditor(TM), this can be achieved by saying
	(setq mail-default-headers "From: Joe User <joe@user.org>\n")
in your ~/.emacs file. This is easier, doable from user space as opposed to
root and it also works on a per-user basis.

If you use pine, it can be done as outlined in the Linux Gazette article that
I mentioned earlier, albeit at the price of a recompilation.

Elm anyone?

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd