Re: 1.3.57 module loading problems

: Dirk.Eddelbuettel

>   Gerry> The only reason I can see for using modules is that if you only very
>   Gerry> rarely need some feature provided by a module and you want to save a
>   Gerry> little memory by not loading it all the time.  If this is not your
>   Gerry> case, then I would recommend not using modules.
>
> I see it a little differently. On several occasions, I only needed something
> extra (plip networking for example) from my kernel. It's very convenient to
> just throw in the needed functionality when it's needed. I have a reasonably
> fast computer, and enough diskspace. But I rather have modules than have to
> recompile every second day, or to keep a dozen kernel images.
>
> I like modules. I've used them all the time in 1.1.* kernels. Being a ftape
> user I had to read up on them anyway. I think they provide well-needed
> flexibility.

I use modules too. I run linux on a small notebook (4MB) and it helps a lot to
be able to mount filesystems and other features only as needed. I use PCMCIA
services which also require modules anyway. This allows hot-swapping of
PC-Cards. I haven't come round to switching to debian, though, so I can't tell
how this works with the debian distribution, nor do I use development kernels.

BTW, having had read about people having problems installing DEBIAN in machines
with 4MB I am not sure how to switch to debian. Would people who have done this
please advise me how?

Thanks very much,

Luis.

--------