SLIP and PPP routing problems

     Hi all,
     This is my first message around here :-)
     I've recently moved to debian 0.93R6 and found out I have a
problem: when I use DIP with SLIP or PPPd to connect to my
university, neither one alters the routing table. DIP doesn't
even do "ifconfig sl0 up". I found an older binary of DIP that
works ok, and manually adding routes with PPPd also works, but
this isn't very nice, is it? :-) Checking the archives of this
mailing list, I saw the problem already appeared, but I couldn't
track the solution. Replacing DIP for the older one works, but I'd
like to have a "cleaner" solution (the older one puts it's files
on different locations).
     Also, since I recompiled the kernel (I don't need SCSI, etc)
I see "unregistered dev ppp0 unlinked" messages. I saw a message
explaining this has to do with dynamic PPP, but why the original
kernel doesn't yeld this message and this *always* issues it on
boot-up?
TIA to all,
Nelson
nelplago@usp.br