Re: "Dynamic Disk Overlay": do debian boot and root ...

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> Are debian's boot and root disks able to deal with Ontrack "Dynamic
> Disk Overlay" used on large IDE drives?

As far as I know, Linux will not work at all with this program.

> This is probably not the correct newsgroup for this question, and I
> apologize for getting off the subject.  I am trying to install Linus
> on a friend's machine, and have gotten stuck: Slackware installation
> disks and fdisk are unable to deal with the apparent proprietary
> format of the 700MB Hard drive.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
> FOr my next experiment I will try debian boot and root disks.

Are you intending to share the disk between Linux and DOS (or some other
operating system), or have it as a Linux-only system?  Either way it is
probably possible, but will involve the loss of all the data on your disk
when you remove this 'Ontrack' program. (I.e. you won't be able to use
FIPS to make an existing DOS partition smaller.)

If you're intending to share the disk between DOS and Linux then you
should be alright as long as you keep the DOS partition size below 1023
cylinders.  Linux will quite happily access the rest of the disk.

If you're installing Linux as the only operating system then make sure
that the partition where the kernel is placed   (it goes in /boot under
Debian, which can either be on the root partition or have its own
partition) is below the 1023 cylinder boundary so that LILO can load the
kernel at boot time.

I believe there is a HOWTO document about all this, but I can't remember
which one it is.   The LILO documentation should have enough information
in it.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk