Re: Debian installation

Shawn Asmussen:
	   I recently switched over from Slackware to Debian, and I've got a
   couple of questions. First of all, although I downloaded the entire binary
   directory, and it's subdirectories, some of the packages recommend other
   packages that I don't seem to have, such as (recommends pgp, or
   recommends mpeg). I can install pgp myself, and I can figure out where to
   get mpeg probably, but if they're already available as debian packages,
   where do I get them?

There are a couple options for mpeg:
 debian/ALPHA-TEST/debian-1.0/binary/graphics/ucbmpeg-1r2-2.deb
 debian/ALPHA-TEST/debian-1.0/binary/graphics/ucbmpeg_play-1r2-2.deb

Note that even though these are in the debian-1.0 tree, they're a.out
executables.  If you want a.out, get them now -- a revision which
switches them to elf will probably appear in the next week or so.

Also, note that, particularly in the earlier releases, w3-el
recommended (or suggested as optional) packages which did not (yet)
exist.  This has been cleaned up, somewhat, in more recent releases.
For the most part, you can ignore the recommendations (since most web
pages don't require such things).

--
Raul