Re: remote clock sync

> On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Buddha Buck wrote:
>
> > If you put "/usr/sbin/netdate tock.usno.navy.mil" in a daily cron file,
> > or in your network startup scripts (whichever makes the most sense),
> > then you should have a controllable amount of drift.
>
> This works great! Does netdate set more that the system clock?
>
> What I mean is, do I need a 'clock -w' call after the netdate to transfer
> the system date to the calender clock?

Yes, you need to use clock to set your system date.  I would recommend
that you set up your timezone information correctly, and then use
'clock -uw' to write your CMOS clock to UTC, rather than your local
time.  If you don't have your timezone info correct, netdate might set
your clock to the wrong time, since tock.usno.navy.mil is giving you
UTC, not local time.

--
Buddha Buck
85.5 Albany Street