Adaptec 2940 SCSI Card

I just downloaded the base debian system on Fri and tried to boot it on my
PC.  It booted ok (I have not installed it yet) but it could not find my
Adaptec 2940 SCSI PCI card.  I currently have nothing conntected to the
card (my SCSI CD-ROM is in the shop for repairs since it was causing the
SCSI bus to timeout).  The bootup procedure compains of an unknown PCI
device.  It says something like the following:
    scsi: 0 hosts
    scsi: dectected devices

Do I need to have an actual SCSI device for the kernel to see the card?
I thought that the Linux kernel 1.2.13 supported Adaptec 2940 SCSI PCI cards.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Masood Ahmed
SAIC