Re: MidNight Commander anyone?

> Date sent:      Sun, 22 Oct 95 12:51:34 -0500
> To:             Fernando <alegre@mars.superlink.net>
> From:           dwarf@symnet.net (Dale Scheetz)

> >Is anyone planning to make a debian package with Midnight Commander (it's
> >not a game despite its name, just a file manager)?
>
> I have used MC in the past, and recently tried 3.0 on my Debian system.
> Although it compiled and installed flawlessly, none of the function keys work!
> Since then, I have discoverd git (the same kind of tool from GNU), which is
> a part of the current Debian distribution. I like it just fine. The screen
> layout is basically the same, and I don't find the different function keys
> hard to deal with at all.

git has only a small portion of the functions which are now included
in Midnight commander. Among other things mc integrates tar.gz files
and ftp sites seamlessly into its file system display.

One of the many functions of mc seems to be to learn the key codes
deliverd by a broken terminal emulation. Therefore it should not be
too difficult to get the function keys working. My experience is
that mc's function keys work on the console and in an Xterm and tend
not to work with a vtxxx emulation.

I consider mc to bee one of the must have programs (the other
missing one is the nn newsreader, but if necessary I simply compile
it myself. The text version just needs a ./configure and make install.
I did not yet have success with the TCL/TK and the xview version.

Andreas* Andreas Helke, Universitaet Heidelberg, Germany