Re: terminal problems with emacs

Matthew Swift writes:
>Richard Kettlewell writes:

>>I don't know if the bug is present in the latest Emacs.
>
>Apparently it is, because your fix worked very nicely, thank you!
>Please mail me off line whether you think this is a bug in ftp or
>emacs or both, and I'll send a bug report.

I think it should be reported against Emacs, since it's not a Good
Thing for Emacs to let programs think they have a particular type of
terminal on stdin/stdout when they in fact have nothing more than a
pipe into an Emacs buffer.

>For all I know, these could be configuration bugs in the Debian
>packages or bugs in the upstream sources -- I supopse I will report
>them to both Debian and the upstream maintainers.  Is that the right
>thing to do?

Report to debian-bugs.  It's supposed to be the package maintainers
responsibility to forward them to the upstream maintainers.

In fact I think the ange-ftp problem has been passed up to the FSF
before, but they couldn't duplicate it (presumably because they didn't
have such a nice ftp client as we do :-) so it got dropped.  I only
today figured out what the problem was.

ttfn/rjk