re:Problems with install

>I've been getting a "beating" trying to install debian... First I was
>going to do 0.93, but it looks to me like tsx-11.mit.edu no longer has
>it? The debian-0.93 directory over there disappeared...
>So I went ahead and started attempting 1.0.

1.0 is currently identical to 0.93.

>Maybe I'm having problems because I'm trying to install over an older
>distribution (slackware)? I went through all the steps (with the 5
>floppies), then did a "dftp getlist" then "dftp getselect", to grab all
>of the packages...

If you went through the 5 floppies and reformatted the old disk, then that
is not your problem.  If you did not reformat the partition, then possibly...

I don't suppose you have a log of what 'dftp' did?  Did you do a "dftp
verify" to ensure that all the packages were fetched correctly?  Also,
if you used 'dftp' to fetch packages, you should use 'dftp' to install
them.  Full details are given in "dftp -help", but basically you need
to do a "dftp unpack installed".

If you are running 'dftp' on your Debian machine, then usually what
you want is simply "dftp getnew".

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )