Re: Mirror programs

As lots of people have already recommended the same tool, I'll talk about
its problems - note that I *still* recomend it; it's really great!

Well, problems - it doesn't cope with hard links. There are some ideas in
the TODO list, but that's all.

It doesn't cope well with files changing their type - directory to symlink
and vice versa, for example. (That one might be easy to fix by just
removing all symlinks prior to mirroring - that's how I fixed my private
Debian mirror, a one-liner with find.)

Hmm. I think that's all. The other problems I have aren't really mirror
problems, but problems on the mirrored site - for example, files that
arrive one byte shorter than ls tells me for some time (then it
mysteriously fixes itself), or simply badly managed archives. I should
learn Perl and extend it to fix some of these :-)

Oh yes, I'm now using 2.8. 2.3 worked fine on my old Slackware box, but
broke with Perl errors (probably a Perl4/Perl5 incompatibility) when I
switched to Debian; I grabbed 2.8 and it simply ran.

MfG Kai